Mon-Sat 8:00a - 5:00p Mon-Fri


Able People Foundation

Phone: (408) 263-8000
Fax: (408) 273-6660

The Able People Foundation, formerly known as Able Project, states its mission as: "To provide a vibrant, full of life, educational, self help and interactive environment for people with disabilities and those who lives empowered or touched by their strong spirit and determination." They have a "Giving Program" that solicits donated products provided free of charge to low-income elderly and children with no insurance or other funding.


4285 Regency Court
PO Box 27140
Greensboro, NC 27140
Phone: (800) 838-1845
Fax: (336) 852-6830

AMBUCS, Inc. is a national service organization dedicated to creating mobility and independence for persons with disabilities. One of their missions is to provide AmTrykes, adapted bikes and tricycles for childern with disabilities. Visit the website for more information about the AmTryke Project, products and accessories.

Bellows Fund

This program is available only through UCP affiliates. The annual income generated from the Charitable Fund is used to purchase assistive technology equipment for individuals with disabilities. Under the Bellows Program, each UCP affiliate receives an annual notice in November or December, indicating that affiliate's allocation of Bellows Program funds for the entire year. The amount is based on a formula set by the UCP Board of Trustees. An application for each grant must be submitted by the affiliate for review and approval by the UCP Bellows Committee in order to receive the funds.

Disabled Children's Relief Fund

PO Box 89
Freeport, NY 11520
Phone: (516) 377-1605
Fax: (516) 377-3978

A potential funding resource for children throughout the U.S. who are under age 18 and do not have adequate health insurance. Financial assistance provided for assistive devices and rehabilitative services. Although there are no restrictions on the type or eligible disabilities, preference is given to applications that benefit children with physical challenges in need of prosthetic and other assistive devices (not computers). Visit their website for a lengthy listing of the types of services and equipment funded most often.

First Hand Foundation

Cerner Corporation
2800 Rockcreek Parkway
Kansas City, MO 64117-2551
Phone: (816) 201-1569

Nationwide resource for grants to cover cost of treatment, surgery, equipment, and even travel expenses when a child must travel to a provider outside of the local community. Family must complete an application and indicate their income and family size. This is a good resource for children who don't qualify for Medicaid, CSHS, Health Choice or can't obtain private insurance or have a policy that is inadequate to cover what is needed.

Friends of Man

PO Box 937
Littleton, CO 80160-0937
Phone: (303) 798-2342

Friends of Man was founded to provide donors with the opportunity to have 100% of their gift used for charitable purposes. No money whatsoever is taken out for administrative expenses - and there are no salaries. All operating expenses of the charity are paid by the volunteers through their donations to the Institute for the New Man.

Friends of Man helps people of all ages with a large variety of needs, including mobility equipment, medical equipment and procedures, hearing aids, dentures, glasses, basic needs, short-term daycare, prescriptions, Cobra/health insurance, and more.

GA-Brain and Spinal Injury Trust Fund

The idea of the Trust Fund and the advocacy efforts on behalf of the founding legislation was driven by people with traumatic brain injury (TBI) and spinal cord injury (SCI). Because of their first-hand experiences, they knew what was most important for people with these traumatic injuries--and what was missing in the range of services and resources available. They dreamed of an agency that understood the lifelong needs of people with traumatic injuries and that was committed to supporting injured individuals at different stages in their life - not just in the critical moments after the injury occurs.

Additionally, more than half of the people who serve on the Commission must have a brain or spinal cord injury or be a family member of a person with an injury. Other members are specialists in the field, or work with organizations that provide services to people with traumatic injuries. Their collective knowledge and experience governs our day-to-day decisions, guides our recommendations for award distributions, and informs our public policy agenda.

GA- Fragile Kids Foundation

Fragile Kids is a non-profit organization that provides wheelchair lifts for home and vans, ramping,specialty seating, bathing equipment, toileting equipment, therapy bikes, strollers, and much more to the medically fragile children of Georgia.

We help fill the “insurance gap” between what is deemed medically necessary for a medically fragile child and what is actually covered by private insurance or Medicaid.

Special People in Need Foundation (S.P.I.N.)

300 North LaSalle St. Ste. 400
Chicago, IL 60654-3422
Contact: Gary H. Kline
Phone: (312) 715-5000

Provides scholarships to students with disabilities, as well as grants to organizations that give assistance to people with disabilities. The emphasis is on enabling the person to engage in meaningful, productive or beneficial activity that might otherwise not be possible.

SC Spinal Cord Injury Association (Available only in 2011)

(This grant only applies to people who have spinal cord injuries.)

The Spinal Cord Injury Association is pleased to announce the establishment of the Marvin S. Murdaugh, M.D. Opportunity Grant. The grant was made possible by donations in memory of Dr. Murdaugh.

In 2011, two $300 grants will be awarded to South Carolina residents with spinal cord injuries. The grants will help provide opportunities to pursue employment, educational, or recreational goals or help meet needs that will enhance quality or life. The types of requests that could be funded by the grants include assistance towards the purchase of hand controls, college textbooks, a sports wheelchair, or construction of a ramp.

Applying for the Marvin S. Murdaugh, M.D. Opportunity Grant involves completing an application form, writing a short essay, and submitting one letter of reference. The deadline to apply is September 7, 2011. The application form and guidelines are available on the association's website at or can be obtained by calling the state office at 803-252-2198 or toll-free at 866-445-5509.

Travis Roy Foundation

60 State Street, 8th Floor
Boston, MA 02109
Phone: (617) 619-8257
Fax: (617) 227-0781

The Travis Roy Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the life of individuals with spinal cord injuries and their families by providing adaptive equipment and to finding a cure through increased funding of research, resulting in self-reliance and the ability to be as independent as possible.

Grant guidelines:

  • Assistance is awarded to paraplegics or quadriplegics paralyzed due to a spinal cord injury (Please Note: paralysis must be due to a spinal cord injury; paralysis due to other causes, such as MS or spina bifida, is not eligible).
  • Applicants must demonstrate financial need and may be required to provide documentation.
  • There is no age requirement.
  • Applicants must reside in the United States.
  • Applicants must request specific modifications or equipment to apply for a Travis Roy Foundation grat; requests for "anything you can give" will not be considered.
  • Examples of eligible items include upgrade and maintenance of wheelchairs, vehicle modifications (i.e., hand controls or lifts), small home modifications including ramp and lift installation, computers, and other adaptive equipment.
  • Grants are not currently available towards the purchase of new or used vans; funds are available for modifications.
  • Grants are disbursed directly to suppliers of the desired equipment or modifications. Individuals making the grant application are required to submit estimates from potential suppliers.

United Healthcare Children's Foundation

PO Box 41
Minneapolis, MN 55440-0041
Phone: (800) 328-5979 ext. 24459 or (952) 992-4459 (Voicemail line only)

The United Healthcare Children's Foundation offers support to meet the needs of children nationwide with financial assistance grants for health care services that are not fully covered by their health insurance. Parents and caretakers are eligible to apply for grants of up to $5,000 for health care services that will help improve a child's health and quality of life.

Foundation Grants to individuals Online

For a membership fee, you can search through detailed descriptions of close to 8,300 foundation programs that fund students, artists, reserchers and other individual grant seeker. You get quarterly updates, and daily search tips. $19.95 for one month, adding months as needed.

The FAQ section of the Foundation Center

Has a good section on "Where can I find information on grants to individuals?"

The Institute on Disabilities at Temple University

Good list of non-government groups that fund assistive technology for individuals.